Teak wood (tectona grandis), is a large, deciduous tropical hardwood tree. The aesthetic and physical properties of teak has earned its reputation as a premium timber. Burmese teak is recognized as the worlds best quality teak due to the natural growing environment and trees of 80 to 100 years old. We only stock the finest FEQ Burmese lumber, as only teak from Burma (now Myanmar) provides the high-quality wood required for marine applications. Florida Teak is committed to sustainability, environmental protection and due-diligence on the legal and transparent sourcing of teak.
Teak Wood – It’s unique properties
- Teak wood has a high oil content which makes it extremely resistant to harsh environmental conditions and highly resistant to rot, mold, termites and boring insects.
- Teak has a low shrinkage ratio, which makes it excellent for applications where it undergoes periodic changes in temperature and moisture.
- The high silica content of teak wood make it uniquely non-skid, even when wet. It maintains its unique properties even under the worst effects of the sun and rain.
- Teak decks are good insulators and are comfortable to walk on barefoot, even under the hottest tropical sun.
- Let’s not forget the luxurious look of teak. Golden brown colored, straight grain teak will remain attractive for years, and if properly maintained, it will last for a lifetime.
- The natural properties of teak make it the only real choice for use in boat-building. Many alternatives have been tested, other woods and synthetics, but only naturally grown teak is able to maintain its beauty and durability for the long term.